Join Our Team
Investment Research Associate
This position will be based at Fenimore’s headquarters in Cobleskill, NY. Cobleskill, NY is located 40 miles west of Albany, NY.
Fenimore Asset Management is an independent, 100% internally owned and SEC registered investment adviser based in Upstate New York. Founded in 1974, Fenimore currently manages $4.3 Billion (as of September 30, 2021) of investor assets, with a focus on quality, long term, long only investing offered through Fenimore separately managed accounts and the firm’s mutual fund family, FAM Funds. Fenimore has been committed to fundamental investment research, bottom up security selection, and concentrated portfolio management for almost 50 years, seeking to bring the best combination of high quality personalized service, account management and investment solutions to a national client base of like minded investors.
This position is an opportunity to work directly with the portfolio managers of the FAM Small Cap Fund and corresponding separate account strategy. The role will be focused on fundamental securities analysis supporting all aspects of the investment research process including financial modeling, assisting in new idea due diligence, interacting with public company CEOs and CFOs, creating investment presentations and portfolio monitoring. The Investment Research Associate will be a generalist with opportunity for exposure to multiple industries and economic sectors.
- Maintaining research coverage of existing and potential holdings as directed by the PM
- Creating and maintaining detailed financial and valuation models in Excel
- Supporting all aspects of new idea due diligence
- Conducting peer and industry analysis, including performing expert calls and attending trade shows
- Building relationships with the relevant sell side analysts, salespeople, and research associates
- Writing and publishing internal research reports and presentations
- Analyzing and reporting on portfolio performance drivers
- Developing marketing materials and white papers in support of the strategy
- Understanding and living Fenimore’s core values and client first culture
- Occasionally traveling with analysts to visit companies
- Perform other related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a strong investing or accounting background
- Prior equity investing experience preferred but not required
- Candidate is expected to obtain the CFA designation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and ability to update financial models
- Highly motivated, confident self starter with ability to work independently and with others
- Overnight travel will be required at times
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other protected category.
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org